Many people get confused between a building survey and a report from a structural engineer. A structural engineers report is an entirely different service designed to identify specific defects and movement to the main structure. A structural engineers report is often required following concerns raised in a Level 2 (HomeBuyer) Survey or Building Survey.
Why do you need a Building Survey?
- If you want a detailed report covering all of the main elements of a property.
- If your property is old, listed or of unusual construction.
- If the property is in poor or dilapidated condition.
- If the property has been substantially altered or extended.
- When you want more advice about the construction, specific defects, any proposals you may have regarding major alterations or extensions.
- If you want the building surveyor to undertake a bespoke investigation of elements which may be of specific concern.
What do you get?
- A thorough visual inspection by an experienced RICS qualified building surveyor of the inside and outside of the property including garages and outbuildings.
- Inspection of any roof spaces and lifting of drain covers where accessible.
- An inspection of sub-floor voids where safe and accessible.
- Damp meter readings of accessible ground floor walls and other areas of concern.
- Inspection of low-level flat roofs.
- A clear detailed written report highlighting the condition and providing advice on future repairs and maintenance.
- Budget costs of recommended repairs.
- A clear traffic light system (red amber green) to describe the urgency of repairs.
- Advice on any matters to be checked by your legal advisor such as guarantees or consents for any alterations or extensions.
- A Level 3 Building Survey will help you make an informed decision on how to proceed.
- We will listen to any particular concerns you may have before we inspect the property.
- Once you have received your report, we are happy to advise and explain anything further that you are not sure of.
- Our building surveyors are all very approachable and will always be happy to speak with you to help put your mind at rest.